From Aven Colony Wiki
The colony is hermetically sealed to counterbalance Aven's low-oxygen atmosphere, so air qualitycan deteriorate quickly.
- Air quality is a major contributor to morale. Insufficient quality will rapidly drive happiness down, leading to discontent and protests, potentially fueling enough resentment to vote you out.
- And if it gets low enough health begins to suffer.
- Moreover, it's not as simple as plopping down a few intakes. You need to be proactive in your efforts to maintain air quality and deploy new intakes and fans on a regular basis. The reason? Air quality improves over time and it can take upwards of a sol to restore proper climate conditions in a colony.
- Geothermal vents on Aven Prime can erupt and send out large quantities of hydrogen sulfide. Yes, colonists can choke if an air intake draws one in.
- Air intakes work best when placed near pollutants (such as electricity structures) or intersections, where they can purify a large volume of air at once.